Chicken of the Sea® Encourages Salmon for Brain Awareness Week
America’s leading shelf-stable salmon provider reminds you to Pink Up Your Lunch during March 16-22’s Brain Awareness Week
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (March 16, 2015) – The advantages of salmon in the diet have long been celebrated, but this week the country’s leading shelf-stable salmon provider is reminding America of one very important benefit. A hint? Use your brain.
On the heels of its extended distribution of its Flavored Salmon Pouches, Chicken of the Sea® is using March 16-22’s Brain Awareness Week to remind seafood lovers to be more proactive in their health by adopting a diet rich in salmon and other brain-friendly foods.
The March health and wellness focus is part of Chicken of the Sea’s “Pink Up Your Lunch” campaign, a culinary and nutrition initiative encouraging protein lovers to substitute salmon — including the brand’s three exciting new flavored pouches — for their customary chicken, turkey or beef in their next sandwich, salad, wrap or bowl during lunch.
Perhaps best known for tuna, Chicken of the Sea is the industry leader in shelfstable salmon, providing pouches, cups and cans for a multitude of easy, tasty heart-healthy meal options – for lunch, dinner or snacktime.
“Pink Up Your Lunch is all about healthy exploration during lunchtime, and Brain Awareness Week provides a wonderful added springboard to healthy new eating habits that benefit mind, body and spirit,” said Erin Mrozek, Chicken of the Sea director of marketing.
Seafood like salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids that are essential for a healthy brain. Omega-3 fatty acids are necessary for transmitting signals between brain cells. Other seafood such as tuna, mackerel and sardines, enjoy similar brain benefits.
Chicken of the Sea has long championed the health, convenience, versatility and recipe-development benefits of salmon as a heart- and mind-healthy meal choice. The brand was the first to offer skinless, boneless salmon in 1984 and strengthened its stance as a salmon pioneer late last year by introducing the industry’s first Flavored Salmon Pouches — a line that was recently expanded to retailers nationwide.
Salmon is the third-most consumed seafood in the U.S. and has enjoyed a resurgence on restaurant menus and as an alternative protein source. This growth in wild salmon has led to untapped consumer demand for pouched and canned salmon relative to tuna and other seafood.
Chicken of the Sea’s family of brain-healthy, wild-caught salmon options include:
- Chicken of the Sea® Pink Salmon, Skinless & Boneless Can: Pink Salmon packed in its natural juices in either a 5-ounce can, a 3 ounce 3-pack or a 5-ounce 4-pack
- Chicken of the Sea® Pink Salmon, Skinless & Boneless Pouch: Pink Salmon in an easy-to-use 2.5-ounce and- 5-ounce flavor fresh pouches, perfect for salad toppers
- Chicken of the Sea® Smoked Salmon Pouch: Flavorful smoked salmon in a 3-ounce pouch — perfect on top of a bagel and more
- Chicken of the Sea® Flavored Salmon Pouches: Easy-to-use, 2.5-ounce salmon pouches come in BBQ, Lemon Pepper and Sweet & Spicy flavors and are ideal for any meal occasion
- Chicken of the Sea® Pink Salmon To-Go Cups: Convenience taken to new levels with a no-drain to-go cup available in 2.8-ounce 2 packs
- Chicken of the Sea® Pink Salmon Traditional Style: Pink Salmon in a 14.75-ounce can perfect for salmon patties or salmon loaves
- Chicken of the Sea® Red Salmon Traditional Style: Red Salmon in a 14.75-ounce can is ideal for rich, flavorful salmon patties
Chicken of the Sea offers a host of salmon recipes and serving suggestions for its recently launched Flavored Salmon Pouches and other salmon products, such as Alaska Salmon Tacos, Asian Salmon Salad, and Fresh Tomato and Salmon Pizza. To access the company’s growing library of recipes, serving and meal-planning suggestions, go to www.chickenofthesea.com.
About Chicken of the Sea
Founded in 1914, Chicken of the Sea (COS) is a leading provider of healthy, sustainable and delicious seafood, offering not only a robust product line but the recipes and meal-planning insights needed to inspire seafood lovers to greater culinary creativity and inspiration. The company provides tuna, salmon, clams, crab, oysters, shrimp, mackerel, kipper snacks and sardines in cans, cups and pouches as well as innovative new products consistent with seafood’s growing status as a healthy “new” protein choice in America.
Headquartered in San Diego, COS sustainably sources its seafood products from around the world, and packages them at a state-of-the-art processing facility in Lyons, Ga., as well as at thirdparty facilities. The company is led by a team of industry veterans with more than 300 years of collective experience in the packaged seafood industry.
For information on Chicken of the Sea, including recipes, serving suggestions and nutritional and meal-planning insights as well as information on the latest new Chicken of the Sea products, go to www.chickenofthesea.com.