- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 slice firm-textured white bread (or substitute any kind of sliced bread)
- 2 (5 oz) cans Chicken of the Sea® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Oil
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes without browning.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and bring to a boil, whisking or stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thickened (3 to 5 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Toast the slices of bread.
- While the bread is toasting, stir the tuna, nutmeg and pepper into the white sauce and heat gently until warm.
- To serve, halve the toast slices.
- Arrange 2 halves on each plate.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture over each portion.
- Serve hot.
In this recipe
Add a little twist
Serve this dish with a side of steamed frozen peas and a small salad.
Serving Size 2 halves; Calories 315; Calories from Fat 126; Saturated Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 23g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 9g; Protein 24g; Cholesterol 41mg; Sodium 389mg; Vitamin A 16%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 29%