- 1/2 cup sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can Chicken of the Sea® Whole Baby Clams, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- Peanut oil for frying
- Place all relish ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not smooth. Set aside.
- Place egg, water and oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add flour and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Place 2 inches of oil in a deep 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, reduce heat to medium (adjusting heat during cooking as necessary to keep clams from burning).
- Add clams to batter, stirring just to combine. Carefully drop clam mixture by the teaspoonful into hot oil and cook until golden brown, turning so that all sides brown evenly, about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with dipping sauce.
In this recipe
Add a little twist
These baby clams are quickly fried and served with a very flavorful Burmese-inspired dipping sauce. The sauce can be made a day ahead; the clams should be served as soon as they are cooked for the best flavor.
Calories 180 Fat 6g Protein 11g Carbs 20g Sodium 460mg Sugar 2g