Manager, Payroll and BenefitsApply Now
El Segundo, CA or Hybrid
Thai Union Group Public Company Limited is the world’s trusted seafood leader, leveraging its expertise, bringing high quality, safe, delicious and seafood products to customers across the world for over 40 years. We are the world’s largest producer of shelf-stable tuna products, with a global workforce of over 44,000 people who are dedicated to pioneering sustainable and innovative seafood products.
Our commitment to enable “Healthy Living and Healthy Oceans” is realized through initiatives that cover a wide spectrum, from building sustainable ecosystems based on new technologies, through to investments in a number of global startups focusing on functional nutrition. Our SeaChange® sustainability strategy is a key pillar of our sustainability efforts, resulting in our inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index Emerging Markets (DJSI) for seven straight years and the FTSE4Good Emerging Index for five straight years. In addition, we have been named as one of the world’s highest performing sustainable companies, receiving a Gold Class distinction in the S&P Global Sustainability Yearbook 2021. These recognitions highlight that sustainability is not just integrated across all of our business practices, but has become the way our company does business.
We are dedicated to producing sustainable, convenient, and quality seafood products to help families worldwide lead healthier lives. In addition, we put a high priority on food-tech innovation, which can be seen through our expansion into areas such as alternative protein (including plant-based meats), supplements, and marine ingredients.
Overview of Role
The Manager of Payroll and Benefits will be responsible for leading Chicken of the Sea’s payroll, benefits, 401k, HR auditing processes, attendance and HR compliance functions in support of the North America Companies.
- Directly responsible for administration and reporting for all payroll, benefit plans, time & attendance, 401k and related regulator filing for all regional companies
- Professionally receive and address all HR admin related inquiries from HR, Employees and Management.
- Receive and respond to all TU corporate requests for data and employee information.
- Supports the onboarding of new employees ensuring timely payroll and benefits setup
- Continually maintain Plan Documents for all Benefit and Retirement Plans
- Constantly maintain an effective working relationship with brokers, vendors, service providers, record keepers, investment advisors and legal counsel.
- Supports annual renewal of programs and maintain timeline with expiration dates / renewal dates for all employee programs.
- Manages effectiveness of on-line employee portal (Mercer 360) for benefits and retirement accounts.
- Works with Payroll Coordinators to ensure all payroll benefit premiums are properly deducted from each employee (UKG system).
- Manages Workers Compensation and OSHA files and reporting.
- Maintain compliance with applicable Federal & State rules and regulations.
- Works with service providers to ensure the timely 5500 Filings.
- Support Company’s restructuring or mergers/acquisitions including downsizing and layoffs.
- Responsible for all Leave of Absences including designation of FMLA, CEFRA, PFL, & SDI.
- Manages all employee files and documents
- Lead contact for all payroll, benefit plan and HR Audits.
- Assists in the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures.
- HRIS Audit Processes
- Leadership – Provide strategic direction for customer business and internal support functions to develop, implement and execute against the COSFF Financial and Marketing Plans.
- Planning – Develop and implement Sales Plans that lead to the attainment of COSFF Financial and GP/Revenue/OP Goals.
- Financial Management – Allocate and oversee the investment of trade spending to attain volume and profit targets. Also, includes developing and managing SG&A budget.
- Personnel Management – Recruit, hire, train, coach and develop Sales Operations Position, following Thai Union’s Mission and Values.
- Forecasting and Supply Chain Management – Direct Team to provide accurate Sales Plans (forecasts) and inventory management. Work to improve supply chain efficiencies that translate to cost savings and exceptional customer service levels.
- Analytics – Provide in-depth understanding and analytics of COSFF Products in conjunction with Retailer dynamics in order to make sound Fact Based Selling recommendations
- Customer Focused – Develop solid relationships with all levels of our Retail -Partners organizations; so that we have access to the key decision makers. Also required is the ability to work effectively with diverse group of internal and external customers
Key Stakeholder Relationships
- SVP, HR and CA
- All Employees
- HR Corporate Team
- HR Lyons Team
- People Managers
- Brokers, Auditors, Investment Managers, Vendors
Key Leadership Capabilities
Candidates should have proven experience and be able to demonstrate a repeated track record in the areas that follow:
- Results Orientation: Has a natural orientation towards meeting deadlines and goals, effectively and collaboratively.
- Collaboration and influencing skills: Develop effective internal and external relationships across functional and geographic boundaries in pursuit of commercial goals.
- Personal leadership: Someone who demonstrates resiliency and perseverance through timely deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills: Can work cross operationally and departmentally to resolve issues.
- Must have HRIS Experience (UKG Preferrable)
- Must have Benefits Platform Experience (Mercer Preferable)
- Must be well versed in the Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams)
- Must be able to sit and or stand in a normal office setting for extended periods of time.
- Able to work on a computer for extended periods of time (8+ hours).
While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, communicate, usually through talking, hearing, writing and typing. Employee should be able to operate standard office equipment, i.e., telephones, computers, facsimile and copier. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk, and move or lift to 35 lbs. The employee regularly works in a well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with a moderate degree of noise. The employee is required to comply with all company policies, rules and directives, including safe work practices.
- Collaborative – works well with diverse workforce; communicates professionally with associates and leaders
- Responsible – punctual, proactively communicates status of issues and projects
- Humble – eager to learn new skills, asks for assistance when needed
- Passionate – has a support-mindset; committed to be the best
- Respectful – exhibits behaviors of caring, compassion, honesty, integrity, and fairness
- Innovative — constantly looks for ways to be more efficient and productive; Committed to continuous improvement
A career at Thai Union is a unique experience to grow as a professional and as a person. You will join a global fast-growing, innovative, and entrepreneurial organization deeply committed to its people, its community, and the environment.
Every single one of our employees matter. We are always listening and giving our talent opportunities to grow, develop, and implement new ideas to make a difference. Our focus on corporate social responsibility and sustainability in a creative and dynamic environment, combined with great opportunities to lead progress, is a guarantee you will quickly develop your professional skills within a diverse & inclusive human-centered organization.
Thai Union is committed to providing equality of opportunity. If you require any reasonable adjustments to help support your application, please let us know.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.