Quality Assurance Lab Technician
El Segundo, California
Lead the qualitative, quantitative, analytical, and container examinations on samples of all COSI products (monthly product audits – domestic & imports). Prepare product samples for management can cuttings & summarize results. Lead laboratory work for processing of Consumer Complaints & participation in COSI Consumer Affairs Group. Participate in special projects as requested by management (e.g. sensory evaluation of products under development or adjustment of formulations).Organize and manage samples for third party laboratory analysis of COSI products (e.g. nutritional analysis).
- Qualitative and quantitative evaluations are performed for all TU/COSI products, including private label products, according to evaluation schedule and special projects. Take pictures of samples when needed.
- Evaluate product packaging according to LACF requirements, such as double seam teardown evaluations, ensure all data is accurately recorded and all measurements are within specification.
- Evaluate consumer complaint samples and report results to Consumer Affairs on a timely basis.
- Manage all aspects of the QA Laboratory, including incoming samples, lab equipment, evaluation records and shipping.
- Develop and provide reports of product evaluations to QA management, including charts to summarize data and PowerPoint presentations of evaluation pictures.
- Train COSI personnel in all fundamental aspects of product evaluation procedures, specifically product organoleptic, grading, drain weight and press weight evaluations (once trained).
- Organize and prepare samples for product cuttings, including weekly Brand Strategy, quarterly Competitive Can Cut, Specialty Seafood, Food Service, new employee Onboarding Can Cut and R&D Samples. Many of these cuttings require prior product evaluations. Summarize and communicate descriptions of product quality and specifications during cuttings to the team.
- Organize and prepare samples for third party laboratory analysis as needed, including nutrition analysis and quarterly food safety and quality verification.
- Provide support for in continuous improvement of product quality (Quality Improvement Project) by organizing product cuttings, summarizing evaluation results and audits to management and communicating observations regarding product quality and specifications.
- QA Laboratory samples are maintained complete and, unless otherwise directed, within shelf life/best by date codes. Maintain a clean and organized laboratory and work space.
- Consumer Affairs evaluations performed, and results communicated to Consumer Affair team within 1 week of receipt.
- Product evaluation reports are provided to Quality Assurance management within 1 week of completion or as requested.
- Training modules developed and maintained of product evaluations and lab procedures.
- Samples are organized and available for product cuttings and product evaluations.
- Samples for third party laboratory analysis are prepared and shipped within project timelines.
- College graduate with emphasis on science / chemistry or equivalent experience.
- 2 years Associate degree + at least 2 years of QA/QC laboratory experience in food industry.
- Min. of 4 yr QA/QC laboratory experience in food industry.
- Knowledge of commonly used computer software.
- Knowledge of approved basic laboratory, analytical and quality evaluation procedures, preferred.
- Sensory evaluation of foods. Knowledge of seafood preferred but not required.
Submit a copy of your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.