Policy Regarding Shark Finning
Shark finning – the retention of fins and discard of the remaining carcass at sea – is an abhorrent practice which contravenes various international rules and regulations, including:
1. Condemns the practice of shark finning as defined above.
2. Calls on RFMOs to improve their management of shark fisheries by prohibiting shark finning and adopting the mandatory reporting of shark catches by species.
3. Prohibits the practice of shark finning onboard its own vessels and those of its subsidiary companies.
4. Will not transact business with any vessel that has been identified by an RFMO or national authority to have practiced shark finning. Such ban shall continue for a period of two consecutive years from the date of the most recent finding.
5. Will not transact business with any company that has no published policy banning shark finning, or having instituted such a policy does not fully enforce its provisions.
6. Recognizes that companies may require time in which to promulgate finning policies and conscious of the need to consult with them, Chicken of the Sea expects that those policies will be in place no later than September 1, 2012.