6 Ways to Step Up Your Retail Revenues
If you’re looking to step up retail revenues, you’re not alone. The 2016 Healthcare Census from FoodService Director reports that retail meals against patient meals is a 60-40 split. Under growing financial performance pressure, hospitals are growing their retail businesses.
Expansion is not confined to retail cafes or dining areas, says FoodService Director. A majority of hospitals surveyed offer catering and programs such as cooking demos, nutrition education programs, or community engagement events. About one-third have coffee kiosks. And in a new trend, 4% have food trucks.
What can you do to support growth in retail? Here are 6 ideas from the Chicken of the Sea foodservice team:
- Upscale your entrees: Popular for flavor, presentation, and wellness benefits, salmon is a prime ingredient for upscaling your entrees. In fact, Technomic reported in 2014 that featuring a salmon salad sandwich can boost profitability by 16% per sandwich. Or try a grilled salmon burger for a value-added upgrade from beef burgers.
- Ride the wellness wave: As recommended by the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, seafood at least twice a week is one of the steps to wellness. Chicken of the Sea salmon and tuna also provide healthy doses of marine omega-3s, protein, B vitamins, vitamin D, phosphorous, and selenium—a versatile prescription for healthy meals. Try integrating them into your wellness menu features, and explore free healthcare toolkits to help you boost sales around wellness themes.
- Offer salad bar add-ons: Drained and ready-to-use, 2.5 -3 oz seafood pouches offer enticing flavors to salads, such as smoked salmon pouches, or lemon pepper, sweet and spicy, barbeque, or sriracha flavored salmon pouches. Let guests choose their own, and recommend complementary salad dressings. No labor and no refrigeration required.
- Try some new flavors for DIY: Capitalize on the growing palate for ethnic flavors by incorporating easy-use flavored tilapia pouches into your cook-to-order or DIY operations. Flavored tilapia pouches include teriyaki and yellow curry to spice up your menu. Or try the global variations on classic tuna deviled eggs for some menu excitement.
- Merchandise 24/7: Late-night meal service presents strong opportunities for retail revenues, yet can be difficult to manage. You can make it easier than ever by adding shelf-stable, ready-to-eat tuna salad cup and crackers or tuna salad to-go cups to your vending machine, snack shops, or kiosks.
- Leverage grab'n'go: Grab'n'go is a trend that just won’t quit in the hectic pace of healthcare operations. Convenience doesn’t have to mean junk food when you serve healthy entrees on the run. Try a smoked salmon wrap or a tuna Caesar wrap and just wrap it up!
Retail revenue comes down to a few simple ingredients: on-trend menu fare, strong merchandising, and strategic retail pricing. For foodservice resources, explore the Chicken of the Sea foodservice website and follow us on Facebook.