- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 (4-ounce) cans Chicken of the Sea® Shrimp (any size shrimp), drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (garnish)
- 1 bunch basil, torn into small bite-size pieces
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat.
- Once hot, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and starting to turn golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and black pepper into the onion mixture.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cook for at least 15 minutes.
- For thinner soup, purée ingredients in a blender and return to pot. For chunkier soup, leave as-is and continue.
- Add shrimp and stir in the cream.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a ladle, portion the soup into bowls and top with cheese and basil.
In this recipe
Add a little twist
Try serving this soup in edible bowls! Hollow out individual sourdough loaves for your guests and make croutons out of the extra bread.
Serving Size 1 cup; Calories 270; Fat 16g; Carbohydrates 19g; Sugar 9g; Protein 14g; Sodium 570mg