Healthy Lemon Parmesan Sardine Pasta
Made with spaghetti noodles with onion, capers, panko, and sardines—plus a bit of parmesan and lemon, of course—this pasta dish is perfect for date night or a weeknight meal.
Original recipe courtesy of The Recipe Critic
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 cans Chicken of the Sea® Sardines in Water
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add some salt. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until just tender. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Bring another skillet to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet.
- When the oil is hot, add in the Panko and stir frequently until golden and fragrant (3-4 minutes). Remove to a plate.
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and add the chopped onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until softened.
- Turn the heat on the onions to medium high and add in the zest of 1 lemon, juice of 1 lemon, capers, and thoroughly drained sardines.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta to the sardine mixture and toss well to combine. Add ½ cup chopped parsley and some of the reserved pasta cooking water (if needed) to moisten. Stir in the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Garnish individual plates with a wedge of lemon and more parsley if desired.