- 1 (3.75 oz) can Chicken of the Sea® Sardines in Oil, Lightly Smoked
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8 ounces (10 cups) fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 12 ounces or 3 1/2 cups penne pasta
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- Chop the sardine fillets into about ½ inch pieces and set aside.
- In a dry skillet, lightly toast the chopped walnuts using medium heat – about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Cook the penne pasta according to package directions.
- Reserve approximately 1 cup of the pasta water for later use.
- Place the spinach in a colander and then drain the pasta over the spinach to wilt it.
- In a medium-sized skillet, lightly sauté the shallots and garlic in oil using medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, milk and pepper to the mushroom mixture.
- Cook at medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the pasta, spinach, sardine fillets and half of the walnuts and chives.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the pasta absorbs some of the sauce, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add some of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if it becomes too thick.
- Transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle each serving with remaining walnuts and chives.
In this recipe
Add a little twist
You can also make this dish using Chicken of the Sea Brisling Sardines, Mediterranean Style or Chicken of the Sea Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil.
Serving Size 1/4 of Recipe; Calories 324; Saturated Fat 2.1; Carbohydrates 49.6; Fiber 3.6; Sugars 5.3; Protein 15.6; Cholesterol 13; Sodium 174.4; Vitamin A 99%; Vitamin C 27%; Calcium 15%; Iron 21%;