- 2 (3.75 oz) cans Chicken of the Sea® Brisling Sardines in Pure Spring Water
- 1 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 pound squash (zucchini or yellow) sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 large russet potato, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion until slightly tender and lightly browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and ground pepper; continue cooking for 5 minutes
- Arrange the mushroom/onion mixture on the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Overlap tomato, squash, and potato in rows over the mushroom/onion mixture, fully covering the mixture.
- Scatter the chopped sardines over the top of the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with the fresh thyme leaves and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for approximately 20 more minutes until golden.
Add a little twist
Try this recipe with Chicken of the Sea® Sardines in Hot Sauce or Chicken of the Sea® Brisling Sardines, Mediterranean Style
Serving Size 1/8 of Recipe; Calories 165; Saturated Fat 2.6; Carbohydrates 12.8; Fiber 2.5; Sugars 5.1; Protein 11.4; Cholesterol 16.3; Sodium 170; Vitamin A 17%; Vitamin C 57%; Calcium 16%; Iron 8%