- 2 (3.75 oz) cans Chicken of the Sea® Sardines, drained
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley, for garnish
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Optional dips for serving: aioli, pesto, ranch or hot sauce
- Optional serving accompaniments: vegetables, crackers, toasts, etc.
- Gently remove sardines from can and try to keep them whole.
- In 3 separate small bowls, fill one bowl with flour, and another with bread crumbs. In the third bowl, beat the eggs and water together.
- Gently press sardines in flour, then dip in egg, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Repeat for all sardines.
- Fill skillet with about 1/4-inch of oil. Heat over medium-high heat to 350°F. Gently fry coated sardines in oil in a single layer (fry in batches if needed). Fry sardines on each side until crispy and golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Garnish with minced parsley. Serve with lemon wedges, dips, and accompaniments of choice.