- 2 (6.5 oz) cans Chicken of the Sea® Minced Clams, with juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 cup small yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 pound russet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set a strainer over a medium bowl.
- Pour the clams through the strainer and transfer them to a small bowl.
- Set the clams and strained juice aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, slowly add the reserved strained clam juice and bottled clam juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally and making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, add the potatoes, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and reserved clams and return to a simmer.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
In this recipe
Add a little twist
Top with crumbled bacon for an extra layer of flavor.
Serving Size 1 cup; Calories 211; Calories from Fat 90; Saturated Fat 7g; Carbohydrates 23g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 3g; Protein 6g; Cholesterol 42mg; Sodium 580mg; Vitamin A 13%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 7%; Iron 7%