- 1 (8 oz) can Chicken of the Sea® Whole Oysters, drained
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups baby spinach
- In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter then add the onions and garlic. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato. Cook for a few minutes or until the sweet potato starts to soften.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring up to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Whisk the flour into the heavy cream until no flour lumps remain. Pour the cream mixture into the soup. Continue simmering until soup thickens, stirring often.
- Stir in the oysters and spinach and simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Taste for seasoning and serve with crackers, toast, bread, etc. if desired.