Avocado Tuna Cakes
They’re crispy on the outside, moist and creamy on the inside, and include plenty of fresh ingredients to keep them bright and light.
Original recipe courtesy of Well Plated
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 (5 oz) cans Chicken of the Sea EZ-Open Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, drained
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (plus additional to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- Whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted whole wheat bread, or a bed of mixed greens (optional)
- Sliced avocado, cheese, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, cilantro, salsa (optional, for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly mash the avocado. Add the tuna, bread crumbs, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt, and egg. Mix until the ingredients are fairly well combined. (It’s ok if the mixture is a little clumpy.)
- Form into 6 patties, then arrange the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then continue baking until the outsides are lightly crisp and the cakes are cooked through, about 10 additional minutes. Enjoy warm.